- I once had a right-handed, left-eye-dominant student with a history of multiple back surgeries who was having a great
deal of physical difficulty using the sights on her revolver.
- At the conclusion of the day's shooting exercises I thought, "This may be one of the exceptional cases where a laser
sight on a carry gun might make sense."
- I decided to let her try shooting my laser-sighted demonstration gun. The laser dot would not come on for her. Puzzled,
I tried it. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it wouldn't.
- My initial suspicion was that it was time to replace the batteries. In retrospect, I now believe it was the result of
extremely low humidity in Arizona's high desert, resulting static electricity and dust, which, in combination, led the
latter to adhere to the contact points in the switch.
- Lesson learned (and taught): Don't rely on electronics without some sort of simple mechanical backup like iron sights!