- I once had a right-handed, left-eye-dominant student with a history of multiple back
surgeries who was having a great deal of physical difficulty using the sights on her
- At the conclusion of the day's shooting exercises I thought, "This may be one of the
exceptional cases where a laser sight on a carry gun might make sense."
- I decided to let her try shooting my laser-sighted demonstration gun. The laser dot would
not come on for her. Puzzled, I tried it. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it wouldn't.
- My initial suspicion was that it was time to replace the batteries. In retrospect, I now
believe it was the result of extremely low humidity in Arizona's high desert, resulting
static electricity and dust, which, in combination can sometimes affect low-voltage circuits.
- Lesson learned (and taught): Don't rely on electronics without some sort of simple
mechanical backup like iron sights!